Fully-Charged & Full Speed Ahead!

This Christmas served to recharge our collective family batteries as we were surrounded by loved ones who are in full support of our past, present and future.  While they were all naturally hesitant when we first brought up the idea of building an Earthship, we have been blown away with their overwhelming support and excitement surrounding the project.  In that spirit, all of our gifts were related to the upcoming build which made it all the more real (in case we didn’t already know) that we will be moving away from life as we have known it in just a few short months!

Both of our families purchased items for us that will make our lives easier once we move to the land and/or things that will be used during the build.  For one another, Zac and I chose to set a $10 limit and had a great time finding some treasures at a local thrift shop.  My favorite gifts from Zac are the two pairs of “work” pants he found for me… they fit perfectly, are super comfy and will be put to good use this weekend when we head to the land! 

We were reminded this holiday season just how surrounded by love we are and truly appreciate everyone’s support!  It meant so much to have our families embrace our values and pick such thoughtful gifts for us that we will be putting to good use very soon indeed.   

My Dad tickling Elliot... my engine runs on his smiles

Elliot's gift from Uncle John and Aunt Megs... so thoughtful and flipping adorable!

A solar outdoor motion light & Chinese solar lanterns!!!

A hand-crank and solar radio/phone charger/ do everything-er, a solar lantern, and a waka-waka solar light that can attach to any bottle (I think we may know where to find a spare glass bottle or two... or 500!)

A 6-pack of Meyer's Clean Day (basil scent.. yum!) which will surely last us for the next decade or so!  We are still on the bottle we bought when I was pregnant with Elliot... great stuff :)

1 of 3 items that will make up our micro-kitchen in a couple months... a super highly-rated smart oven by Breville!

Our family work shirts given to us so thoughtfully by my parents!!!

The back of our shirts... no matter that Earthship is one word :)... these are awesome!!!

My "work pants" that will surely give me superhuman strength when pounding tires!  Even though I was just going to the grocery store today, I had to put them on.  I brought in all the groceries on one arm so I think they work.

A collection of information-packed books that make my stomach hurt with excitement... I plan on beginning my book-binge when I'm done with this post

I felt a mix of emotions pass over me this past week from mind-blowing, spastic, sheer elation to anxiety about the uncertain nature of what we are taking on as a young family.  However, if anything, I'm supercharged by this mix of emotions and find myself returning to the thought that embracing the unknown is what living life is all about.  In making this move (geographically, mentally, and emotionally), I plan on leaving behind complacency, sluggishness and thoughtlessness and embracing a more mindful, honest way of life that will eventually allow us to choose how we want to spend our days; whether that be working in a modern-day sense or working in a direct way to sustain our lives in creating a homestead that provides much of what we need to survive (or a combination of the two).  A quote that jumped out to me when I began reading "Maximizing Your Mini-Farm" and that sums up why we are choosing the life we are was this: "...when we look back on our lives, our regrets do not revolve around material things such as the car we didn't buy or the overtime we didn't work.  Instead, our regrets revolve around the time we didn't spend with loved ones, the things we didn't do with them, and the things we didn't say and wish we could."


Comments

Popular Posts