Divisionary

Disclaimer: The term "Earthship" in the below writings is used to describe our Earthship-inspired ​home.

It's hard to fly in the face of conformity.  I don't mean to sound like a martyr or some self-righteous angsty whiner but it really is hard.  Making serious lifestyle changes that go up against the status quo is exhilarating but exhausting at times.  Choosing the life we have for ourselves and working to build an earthship home with a child in tow, no less, has some people thinking we're crazy.  Interestingly enough, however, we've received more positive feedback and support than negative so far.  Though I suppose those who feel negatively about what we're doing are keeping it to themselves or not expressing it to our face.

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid.  It isn't so much what people have or haven't said to us because nearly everything we've heard has been positive.  I think it has more to do with the values and beliefs that have been instilled in me by a consumerist, "keeping up with the Joneses" culture.  While I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the road we're taking as a family is the right one for us, there is always this menace of a voice lurking in the background saying "you had a nice, stable life for yourself and your family.  You were movin' on up!  Why change anything when changing is hard?"  Because, Obnoxious Voice, remaining stagnant is more difficult than changing.  Because changing is exhilarating and just feels right.  Because I'm enjoying life more now than ever before.  Because I want my son to grow up knowing where his utilities and resources come from and be a thoughtful, mindful individual.  Because we weren't meant to be so disconnected from nature.  That's why, you nagging, greedy voice!

When waste, excess, destruction and greed are packaged in nice, neat, shiny convenient packages, it is difficult to see how making more convenient choices day-to-day can be so destructive, though all these choices add up and are indeed harmful to all that is living.  As the fable goes (or approximately so), a frog placed in boiling water would jump out.  A frog placed in lukewarm water that is slowly heated would cause the frog to doze happily until it is too late and has boiled to death. 

It is common for people to believe that we have made progress in the past 100 years and are now more civilized than we have been in the past.  I would argue that standpoint endlessly.  While I do certainly believe that some of the medical advances and scientific discoveries have engendered a higher quality of life overall, I also believe that many of these so-called advancements have led us to become more distanced, reckless and unhealthy as a culture; creating an imbalance that many aren't comfortable addressing.  We're slowly boiling ourselves to death.

If we spend our time concerning ourselves with attaining more wealth and power, we lose our connection with everything around us.  We spend more hours at work than with our families, at jobs that we only like some of the time (if we're lucky) because we have bills to pay.  When we do get a raise at work, we buy a bigger house, a nicer car and start having other people take care of our household because we don't have time to.  We eat poorly because we don't have time to make proper meals and instead consume food that is robbing us of proper nutrition and supporting unethical food production practices.  We take the easy way out and haphazardly use pesticides, antibiotics and other convenient quick fixes for pests, illnesses and household problems instead of rooting for the cause and changing our lifestyles.  We have children but don't have time to teach them how to live mindfully and rely on under-funded and backwards school systems to raise our kids for us.  It is easier to buy something cheap at a big box store to meet our needs or hire someone to do something for us than to take the time to learn a new skill or find a more permanent, thoughtful solution to an issue that has presented itself.

I believe that we as a culture are stuck in a rat race though I respect the fact that not everyone sees it this way.  Instead of chasing wealth and power in an obvious sense, I would argue that real power and wealth lie in oneself.  For example, when you take the time to fix that broken household item on your own instead of pitching it and buying a cheap piece of junk from a big box store that will break soon anyhow, you will feel a greater sense of accomplishment and feed the power and wealth that sprouts from knowledge and confidence. You can't assign a monetary value to the sense of accomplishment and pride that comes from preparing a meal made from food you've produced on your own land!
 
While going out and spending money may feel good in the moment, I have found that it is certainly fleeting.  My greatest thrills have come within the past several years because we've been making more sustainable day-to-day choices.  Zac set up a rainwater harvesting system on our micro-cabin which provides water to rinse off with when we're working on the earthship.  You can't wipe the smile from my face when it rains because that means we now have more water to use --for free-- that hasn't been processed with harmful chemicals and delivered to our home at a ridiculous cost.  We did that. We made a catchment system to harvest that water and I get to reap the benefits when I go to use it to wash off my hands at the end of the day.  No amount of money can touch that feeling of accomplishment. I've found that our sense of confidence and power has grown with each household project we've taken on ourselves and with every sustainable choice we've made.  I feel more confident as a mother to our son as I know that we are equipping ourselves with the skills to provide him with a tremendously rewarding life.  

I know that strongly worded essays can annoy and anger some but I feel that challenging the status quo is not only important but absolutely vital.  I'm writing this as a reminder to myself that despite what is pumped into us by our society, more sustainable personal changes can be made and one can live a life they are truly proud of despite any reservations or concerns they may have.  We only have this one shot at living a life we love.  Why waste it going along with the herd?

I heard this song today and every time it comes on WYSO, our local NPR station, I find myself turning the radio up and singing it at the top of my lungs; much to my son's chagrin, I'm sure.  The song is titled Divisionary by Ages and Ages.  
In a band biography on Partisan Records' website, Tim Perry, bandleader of Ages and Ages, explains that the word divisionary was made up by the band to describe "a group whose vision of 'right' is upsetting to the existing power structure." And so I share the video and lyrics below with those of you who are also fighting the good fight and choosing to make more mindful choices in the face of a buffet of convenient, yet destructive alternatives.  


DIVISIONARY

Do the right thing do the right thing
do it all the time do it all the time
make yourself right, never mind them
don't you know you're not the only one suffering

I see you up again wandering so diligently 
crossing your t's as though it weren't irrelevant
they say formality, this is what they really meant:
they can be the walk and we can be the pavement

Do the right thing, do the right thing
do it all the time do it all the time
make yourself right, never mind them
don't you know you're not the only one suffering

So what you're up against all the disingenuous
They wave you along and say there's always room for us
But we know better than that to take'em serious.
Still don't let'em make you bitter in the process

And when the light is up, this is how oughta be
We'll make it alright, they'll come around eventually
They say it's nothing but that ain't the reality
They may take us on but they can never take us easy

Cuz they ain't moving, they're just moving around
So if you love yourself, you better get out now

I hear a higher calling
Better here than there I guess
so long

Comments

  1. I always look forward to reading your blogs, Lauren! Of course Wendy and I are right up there with you and Zac. We've been in the "status quo" for so long because that's what we grew up thinking was the right thing to do. We never knew there was another way. And as for "progress" and "scientific advancement", those terms just make me laugh. We have the most advanced technologies of any other country in the world, and yet we can't even afford our own health care. Our doctors try to solve everything with a prescription. We're the fattest country in the world. Our kids are growing up with no social or communications skills because they're always glued to their computers, phones, and TV screens. We've become completely dependent on other people, companies, and our government to give us our food, water, shelter, and security. Sorry to all of you out there who call that kind of living "progress", but I simply don't agree. The colonials boarded ships and sailed to America to get away from an oppressive lifestyle. These days, there are no undiscovered countries left to flee to. Fortunately, any motivated hardworking person who's fed up enough can still build and board an Earthship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, I think you guys may be generalizing a bit. Lauren, the first sentence of this post is absolutely true, it IS hard to fly in the face of conformity. The temptation or tendency is to start making things simpler than they are, dividing things between us and them, making solid lines where only dotted ones exist. This is how all stripes of rigidity and fundamentalism begin.

    That is not to say that you have no right to be passionate or even that I don't agree with much of the sentiment: we are not confronting the health, familial, social, and environmental impacts of consumerism, and that we don't take enough responsibility for our own decisions. All I am suggesting is that we not overgeneralize, lump things together or snowball (for instance, a selective portion of Mr. Broadhead's comment as to kids not socializing because they are glued to their smartphones, from my perspective, it seems they are communicating and socializing quite often, just not the way that we did when we were growing up for instance).

    It is my belief that we're all in this together. While there are certainly exceptions to every rule, for the most part, people just seem to be making the best decisions they can at any given time, to satisfy their own self-interest. Not in a negative selfish way, but in a realistic "I am responsible for me and mine" way. That's what enables you and your beautiful family to build a rainwater catchment system for a home constructed of rammed earth tires, and allows the soccer mom to buy a case of bottled water and several boxes of individually foil wrapped snack bars for the kids after practice.

    I enjoy your blog, and thanks to Mr. Broadhead for his comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so appreciate both Morgan's and Mr. Marx's comments! I do agree that it is easy to fall into overgeneralizing; especially where passion lies. The topic of creating a more sustainable future for humankind is an incredibly complex topic that I certainly wouldn't attempt to lay out a plan for in this personal blog. I understand that there are much more dynamic issues at play that underlie the current state of American culture and so I try to avoid overgeneralizing whenever possible. However, I do feel it is absolutely imperative that something change as we aren't headed in a positive direction. I suppose I let my passion run wild this post because I do feel it is important to spread the word that we all have a choice to make a more sustainable future for ourselves. Even if it is as simple as buying some local produce, we all can make a difference a choice at a time. I was also hoping to offer hope and encouragement to others interested in creating a healthier future for themselves as it can be a trying road at times. Anyhow, thank you both again for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts